Friday, September 30, 2005

Night Stalker et al.

The new television season starts off with what seems to me an unprecedented glut of fanciful shows, i.e. shows with either a supernatural or science fiction premise. I really miss Hercules, Xena, Buffy, and Angel. So, I ought to be thrilled, right?

Here's the thing though. None of the new shows have impressed me. Most are just kind of lame. Let's see If I can name them all.

Ghost Whisperer
Invasion
Night Stalker
Surface
Supernatural
Threshold


Did I miss any?

I decided to give all the shows a chance. I 've seen them all once now, some twice. I'm not loving any of them, but I might give Invasion and Surface a few more weeks before I cut them lose.

The worst of the batch is Ghost Whisperer, and not just because it stars Jennifer Love Hewett as Melinda Gordon. I don't think Ghost Whisperer ever came right out and said "based on actual events," but it has that stench about it- a certain tone that indicates the writers and producers believe ghosts are real and people like Melinda Gordon can talk to them. The professional liar James Van Praagh is listed as Co-Executive Producer so I don't think I'm assuming too much about the beliefs/gullibility of those responsible for this pile of crap.

The most disappointing was Night Stalker. The original Night Stalker was a reportedly great influence on the X-Files. It now seems that the new Night Stalker has in turn been unfortunately influenced by the X-Files. If the first episode is any indication, Night Stalker is going to have an X-files like tendency to not explain things at the end of the episode. The new Kolchack (Stuart Townsend) is not going to be allowed to be the loner that Darren McGavin was. He's got a couple of annoying partners that are going to follow him around and bicker with him (Gabrielle Union as Perri Reed and Eric Jungmann as Jain McManus.) I don't like any of these characters. They are all unpleasant. Gabrielle Union is kind of hot, but not hot enough to make up for being unpleasant. I may not be the best judge of this, but the guys are not hot. They are goofy looking, so the ladies are out of luck in the eye candy department. But unlike Darren McGaven, the guys are not interesting either, which would make up for not being hot.

wooden acting, nonsensical plot, unexplained crap that will slowly unfold over the season but never really go anywhere... Just skip it.

The whole new season gets 2 out of 5 crosses.


Ghost Whisperer gets 1 out of 5 for insulting my intelligence.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that's dissappointing. Even the one with the guy from the Station Agent isn't good?

7:28 AM, October 02, 2005  
Blogger Dominic said...

That would be Peter Dinklage in Threshold. Peter is good, but the show as a whole hasn't impressed me yet.

3:31 PM, October 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home